[3830] ARRLDX CW WT1T M/S HP

wo1n at arrl.net wo1n at arrl.net
Mon Mar 5 23:04:25 EST 2001

                     ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WT1T
Operator(s): K1TWF, W1ES, N1TT, WN1V, WO1N
Station: K1TWF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MA

  160:     49     33
   80:    142     51
   40:    501     85
   20:    671     84
   15:    788     94
   10:    595     91
----------------------
Total:   2746    438  =  3,604,302

Club: YCCC

Comments:

 Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

 Operator List: K1TWF, W1ES, N1TT, WN1V, WO1N

 Equipment Description: FT1K, AL1200/SB1000, 40-2CD, TH7, Pair 80M verticles

 Not a lot of pre-contest hype here, K1TWF commented a few nights
 before the test, "You know the drill, show up and operate". This
 was mainly a K1TWF/WO1N show some strategic relief by W1ES and
 N1TT. We had WN1V make the first Q so, if necessary, we could
 float a couple of non-YCCCers and still make the 2/3rds rule.

 Murphy paid a visit Saturday evening. K1TWF was operating, did
 a band change and the QSK bulbs blew on the AL1200. This used to
 be a common occurrence but a trip to the factory a few years back
 resolved the problem, whatever it was. Unfortunately, we used up
 all the bulbs and never bothered to restock them. I was on break
 at home. I had 2Ms on to hear if any of the other ops were going
 to show up. Suddenly I hear K1TWF on the local repeater in a
 frantic sprint to one Radio Shack, closed, and then a second, open
 looking for bulbs. I headed back to the station to help do the
 fix, but something was toast and we blew up two more sets of bulbs
 instantaneously. Note we don't use QSK during the contest, so it
 is beyond me why we have problems with these things in the first
 place. At that point we swapped in the old SB1000, wouldn't load
 on 160M and only about 500 watts on some bands.

 Our best hour was 1200Z on Sat. with over 140 (15M), other notable
 hours 1100Z Sat. @ 128 (20/10), 1400Z Sun. @ 128, 3 other
 hours over 110 and 3 other hours over 90. The amp stuff cost us
 1.5 hrs during prime 40M time Saturday evening.

 All in all our best effort ever from Mike's station despite being
 off the air for 1.5hrs and a couple of dB down on power the 2nd
 day.

 Ken
 WO1N

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com