[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ7/ND5S SOAB LP

nd5s at ix.netcom.com nd5s at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 8 18:48:00 EST 2001

                     ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ7/ND5S
Operator(s): ND5S
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ST.MAARTEN

   20:    188     39
   15:    167     34
   10:    250     46
----------------------
Total:    605    119  =  215,985

Club: GREAT LAKES DX / CONTEXT CLUB

Comments:

SOAPBOX:  I hope that I didn't cause too much confusion.  I operated
this contest first on the French side of the island on the 17th (UTC),
then on the Dutch side of the island on the 18th as we had a hotel
change in the middle of the weekend.

I worked many of you from both FS and PJ7.

The setup on the Dutch side was an Icom 706MKIIG, an MFJ Switching
Power Supply and an LDG AT-11MP Autotuner.  The antenna was a Cushcraft
MA5B Yagi pointed toward the U.S.  This is a three element beam.  Two
elements on 10/15/20 and a rotatable dipole for 12/17 meters.  I did
not have rotator capability, but for this contest and the broad pattern
of a two element beam, it wasn't needed.  The Yagi was mounted on the
top of the hotel at 90 feet.  325 feet of RG8X mini-foam coax was
needed to reach the operating position.  Power output was 100 watts.

Knowing that there would be limited time on each side of
the island, I concentrated on 10/15/20 meters.  Pictures will be
added to my website at:

http://www.qsl.net/nd5s/index.html

I operated from the Sapphire Beach Club in the lowlands district on
the Dutch side just west of Princess Juliana airport.  Here, again,
we were visited by Murphy.  The electricity kept cutting out on Sunday
afternoon.  Something we have come to expect here on the islands.
I would be in mid QSO and would lose power, and the contact.  If I did
not come back to you, unfortunately, you are not in the log.  I know
that there must have been frustration there when this happened as I
would end up leaving a nice little pile-up stranded.  Believe me, there
was plenty of frustration here too.  On the plus side, when I did have
power, it was consistent and I had no problem operating a full 100 watts.

More info on my summary from the French side.

Thanks for all the Qs, and despite visits from Murphy, I had a ball
handing out multipliers from two locations.

Equipment Description:  ICOM 706MKIIG
                        MFJ SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY - 4225MV
                        LDG AT-11MP AUTOTUNER
                        CUSHCRAFT MA5B YAGI