[3830] WPX SSB NY4A(W4ZV) SOSB10 HP

btippett at alum.mit.edu btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 26 07:14:44 EST 2001

                     CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: NY4A
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: NC

-------------------------------
Total:   2152 x    882  =  4,442,634

Club: pvrc

Comments:

     Very strange conditons!  As N4YDU noted, 10 meters seemed better to JA
than to EU from here...with the exception of Friday night when only one JA was
worked by scatter.  CT doesn't report countries but the following prefix counts
tell the story of unusual conditons compared to last year:

Region          2000       2001
JA               66         79
LA/OH/SM/OZ      49          8

Yet there seemed to be some fairly good morning openings to UP and UA9
(including several Zone 18 stations) and even OY, JW and TF called midday
Sunday!  YB, EX and UK were also worked during a late morning opening.  During
a period around 18-19 UTC Sunday, I could hear stations in the Midwest, West
and Florida working EU that I couldn't hear a trace of.  It almost reminded me
of the spot propagation we sometimes get on 160!  HS0 called Saturday night and
VR2BG and a few Chinese stations called Sunday afternoon.  Here are the
continental comparisons versus last year:

     2000%     2001%

NA    21.3      35.4
SA     4.9       5.9
EU    58.9      40.9
AS    12.6      15.0
AF     0.5       1.3
OC     1.8       1.5

QSO's/Mults:       2000           2001

End Fri night     330/178        165/118
End Sat night    1730/716       1475/697
Sunday end       2648/879       2152/882  (Total <75% of last year's record)

     Thanks to God for the interesting conditions, to all for the QSO's and
especially those whose patience was tried as I struggled to copy via
backscatter!  I'm retiring from this one on 10 until about 2010 or so!

                                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com