[3830] WPX SSB VE3BUC SOAB QRP

doncassel at compuserve.com doncassel at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 26 07:49:35 EST 2001

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        1        4   4.0        1
       20       91      204   2.2       55
       15      195      507   2.6      118
       10      225      571   2.5      140
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    512     1286   2.5      314  =   403,804

Equipment Description:

Yaseu FT-990 5 watts, Cushcraft R5 vertical, CT 9.57

Comments:

First time to work QRP in this contest. I had planned to make this a low demand
contest and worked only 17 hours. It turns out that QRP is much more demanding
than running my usual 100 watts. Twice the work for half the contacts. But it
was a lot of fun regardless.

Conditions were exceptional with some strange anomalies. Worked V73UX and only
one VK. No other contacts in that area. Also heard only a few JAs and worked
one of them at noon local time which is unusual from here. Worked CN8NK but no
other Africans. Yet had very good east-west and north-south propagation on 15
and 10. Go figure.

Club Affiliation:

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Don Cassel  VE3BUC