[3830] WPX SSB NA1DX SO(A)AB LP

Doug Ellmore Sr na1dx at arrl.net
Wed Mar 28 01:16:16 EST 2001

               CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 2001

      Call:      NA1DX
      Category:  Single Unlimited
      Power:     Low Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Country:   United States

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES
      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40        0        0   0.0        0
       20      113      289   2.6       63
       15      269      720   2.7      179
       10      370      975   2.6      256
     --------------------------------------
     Totals    752     1984   2.6      498  =   988,032

Equipment Description: ICOM 706MKII at 100 watts.  LDG AT-11MP
Autotuner. MFJ-434 Voice Keyer. Mosley TA-36 (+40m Kit) up
40 ft of Rohn 25.  Alliance Rotor/Controller. 11m band fiberglass
vertical for additional 20m-10m use. Heil Proset 4 and Promicro 4
headset mics. CT 9.54 Logging Software and ICOM CT-17 PC interface.
MFJ TNC2 Packet and Kenwood TR-7930 with Cushraft vertical connected
to KE3Q DX Cluster Node.

Remarks:  I had been looking forward to trying to better than my
1999 #1 USA Rookie QSO count and score of 1.1M pts.  However,
weeks between the ARRL DX Phone and WPX Phone I developed
problems in the two FT-1000s, Henry 2K2 80-10m Amp, and portable
65ft tower.  Basically, my plan for months fell apart.

I refocused my goal to see if I could operate longer than previous
contests and see what I could do with a ICOM 706MKII at 100 watts
using configuration above in the equipment description. Well, I
never operated more than 18 hrs and this contest I operated 30.5
hrs.  I guess if I had not stopped and had meals with XLY and kids
during the weekend, I might have broken my previous score.  It was
the weekend of my 38th birthday, so I didn't want to ignore
family completely.  I also did not operate late at night, as I did
not want to disturb the family sleeping. At 100 watts, I couldn't
get any runs going, search and pounce was my only choice.  The
dipole was not doing well on 40m -160m, so I just called it quits
on the low bands.  So, I didn't get any lower band points, and
that hurt. All in all, I had a very good time and feel I did
pretty good with marginal antenna/tower, low end radio and power.
The highlight was reviewing the log and realizing I worked 112
countries and picked up 4 new ones during the contest!

Club Affiliation: PVRC

           MAILING ADDRESS:  Douglas A. Ellmore, Sr.  NA1DX
                             84 Portland Manor Farm Drive
                             Lothian, MD 20711

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com