[3830] WPX SSB NZ8O M/M HP

k8cc at mediaone.net k8cc at mediaone.net
Sat Mar 31 12:30:26 EST 2001

                     CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: NZ8O
Operator(s): K8CC, K8GT, K8MM, KE8OC, KT8X, KU8E, N8MG, N8NX, N8VW, W8MJ, W8UA, WD8S
Station: K8CC

Class: M/M HP
QTH: MI

-------------------------------
Total:   6746 x   1355  =  22,207,094

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is the fourth consecutive year that our group has done WPX SSB in the
multi-multi category.  We were hoping for big things with the high solar flux,
but Friday's solar storm sure slowed things down at the start.  This is shown
very clearly by comparing accumulated QSOs every six hours between this year
and last year:

      2000    2001    diff
06Z   1347     833    -514
12Z   2159    1322    -837
18Z   3346    2439    -916
24Z   4255    3508    -747
06Z   5109    4442    -667
12Z   5583    4927    -656
18Z   6590    5838    -752
24Z   7326    6745    -581

Our worst deficit came at 20Z where we were 938 QSOs behind last year.  From
that point, things started to improve so that by the end of the contest we had
cut knocked about a third off that deficit.

It is interesting to note that the periods of the contest which usually are
strongest for us (mornings to Europe) produced the biggest deficits while our
traditionally weakest periods (evenings to JA/Asia) were the strongest.

The only real problems we had was losing the 28 MHz amp Saturday morning, which
required stealing the 3.8 MHz amp, which led to stealing the 1.8 MHz amp for
3.8 MHz, then digging out a backup amp for 1.8 MHz.  The amplifier bay is now a
rat's nest of patch cords and barrel connectors!

Congrats to big scores from NR6O and W4MYA under the strange condx.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com