[3830] ARRL SS CW W7UQ School Club

kl9a at qsl.net kl9a at qsl.net
Mon Nov 5 02:44:03 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: W7UQ

Class: School Club
QTH: ID
Operating Time (hrs): 7:45

   40:     23
   20:    206
   15:     52
   10:    240
-------------------------------
Total:    521 x     76  =  79,192

Club: WWYC, University of Idaho

Comments:

Another SS, another one for me to quit. :)  I managed to stick around until
0445z.

I had planned on doing a little SO2R, even though one of them would only be on
10 meters.  I ran into too many little problems so I just scratched that idea.
My goal was to not quit this SS and to get 1000 q's Low power.  I managed
almost 8 hours on.  10m was GREAT.  My best hour in SS ever with 100 q's
exactly the first hour.  Not bad for 50 watts out on 10!  Thanks to NP2B who
got WAY too close for comfort 2 minutes before the contest.  I appreciate that.
 So I cranked in the super narrow filter (100hz?) and used the RIT when the
splatter was bad.  It seemed to work OK.  Finally got fed up and moved to the
low end of 10 for a 72 second hour.  Not bad I guess.  I went to move to 15 and
just could NOT get anything going.  My plan was to almost exclusively CQ the
first day unless I couldn't run at all, and work the big guys who CQ the whole
time later in the game.  It worked great until I hit 15m.  So I left shortly
and hit 20m. It was a struggle, but I found a nice spot about 14017 and had an
80 hour at 0200z.  I had fallen behind and caught up VERY quickly to my
competition.  When I went to 40 it was PACKED, but I CQ'd anyway.  The rate was
actually pretty good... about 50-55/hr steady.  But I got bored and searched
the band a few times and called it quits.  The only thing keeping me awake was
sending everything by hand.  That was fun at 100/hr!  However...Saturday night
at college is better spent elsewhere. :)
Missed: MT (heard K7BG on 40m, couldn't crack the pile), NL, PQ, and AB.  AB is
tough here on the high bands, and I wasn't on the low bands long enough to find
one.  NL and PQ are usually hard, but I never searched out mults.
I firmly believe I could have managed 1000 q's low power from here, but it was
just too boring. :)  SS is not my contest.  Enough of this domestic contesting
(until NAQP or the sprints of course)... bring on CQWW CW!!!
Thanks to all the QRPers (wow did I say that?) Seemed like everyone was Q this
year.
Pet Peeve:  When someone sends "CQ SS KL9A KL9A SS" and I call them after the
KL9A, not the second "SS"

73,
Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a