[3830] ARRL SS CW VA3WN SO LP

va3wn at rac.ca va3wn at rac.ca
Thu Nov 8 00:07:23 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: VA3WN
Operator(s): VA3WN
Station: VA3WN

Class: SO LP
QTH: ON

   15:     48
   10:
-------------------------------
Total:    448 x     69  =  61,824

I knew I could only operate a few hours this weekend, so I thought it might be
fun to try a "run-only" effort and see what happened.

Only used the 15/40 dipole at 30' and 100w, made 2 or 3 S & P contacts at the
start of the contest, plunked down in one spot, and ran ran ran.  Never
searched for a mult, just ran for kicks.  Kinda screwed up though; I gave my
check as "69" for the first 37 contacts of the contest.  I was born in 1969,
not licenced in 1969.  That's what I get for being a lid, I guess.  QSO #38 got
the first correct check of "96".  Hope that isn't grounds for DQ; even so, as
long as they don't remove the Q's from the logs of the first 37 guys I worked,
that's OK too.

448 Q's run-only in 13 hrs doesn't seem too bad.  If I'd decided to really
contest the SS, with the low dipole really playing on 40, I think I could've
done something.  Makes me think I might try SS CW for real next year.
Actually got into a frequency fight in this one (that's a first for me!).  I
played it very Canadian, didn't say a thing, and kept on running the fellas
louder than the QRMer.  I really was there first!  Felt like I was on the
National Tuning Frequency once or twice, had to skootch down/up a bit
occasionally, but still had fun with the long exchange.  Kinda cool having AK
and PR calling me for a change.

CU in WW CW at the end of the month.
73 de VA3WN

Travis Fitzgerald