[3830] ARRL SS CW K8CC Multi-Op

k8cc at mediaone.net k8cc at mediaone.net
Sun Nov 11 17:28:05 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, WX3M
Station: K8CC

Class: Multi-Op
QTH: MI

  160:      0
   15:     92
   10:    134
-------------------------------
Total:   1274 x     80  =  203,840

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Probably the best condx I've ever heard for a domestic contest from here.
Stations 200 miles away were S9+ on 20M, and many East Coast stations were very
workable from here (not an ordinary occurance).  On the other hand, 40M (our
bread and butter band from here) was like a ghost town - I've never in 25+
years of SS heard 40CW literally empty in the middle of the day.

Third try doing multi-op from here on CW and we finally squeezed by the
division record.  With only two ops, both were in the chair the full 24 hours.
The two stations were hardware interlocked which provides its own frustrations
but ensures legality.

Sunday was tough, but we managed to keep the rate at or above last year until
things went dry in late afternoon.  After supper activity picked up and was
decent until the end.  For the past few hours the second radio is almost
superfluous as there were few new stations CQing.

I thought behavior on the packet network was the worst I've seen, with
self-spotting and blatant multiplier soliciting.  The biggest offender was a
certain WD8***, a call which I've been told is not even in the FCC database.
Even more annoying are the people who put out "called me" spots, which they
think are useful to others but are in reality distracting and which provide no
value.

One of the "called me" spots brought us a chuckle.  A big gun "U" category
station put out a spot for a VO1, and when we got there only found the station
who sent the spot.  After mumbling several unmentionables about that station's
character we went back to our run frequency and the first station who answered
our CQ was VO1MP!  Thanks Gus.

Congrats to all the fine scores.  We'll see you on SSB as a multi-op as well.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com