[3830] WAE RTTY AA5AU SOAB HP

aa5au at bellsouth.net aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 11 23:14:04 EST 2001

                     WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: W5 USA

   80:      1      1      0      4
   40:     68     68      0     69
   20:    321    321    544    122
   15:    276    276    305    116
   10:    289    289    740    110
-------------------------------------
Total:    955    955   1589    421  =  1,071,024

Club/Team:

Comments:

Station Description:
Kenwood TS-870 (2)
Ameritron AL-80B @ 500W (1)
Cushcraft A3S w/40M add-on @ 62 ft.
Cushcraft A3S fixed to 20 deg. @ 45 ft.
80M inverted vee with apex @ 60 ft.
WriteLog/MMTTY/PK232

It was nice to see excellent condx for the entire contest period. I kept
expecting the bottom to drop out on Sunday but it didn't.  I kept trying to
stay close to K4GMH, but he kept pulling away.  He was working EU stuff on 40M
I couldn't ever hear.  The 10 minute rule kept me away from 80M and although I
monitored it most of the 2nd night, I didn't hear any stations outside the US
despite the band having very little noise for a change.

I figured the only way to stay close to Mike was to concentrate hard on QTC's
so I became a QTC junkie on Sunday.  I was surprised our scores were this
close, I figured he'd have me by at least 100k.  So for my small amp and low
antennas, I'm extremely proud of my effort.  Congrats to Mike on a great job.
N4BP was also going strong, so it will be interesting to see the final scores.

Thanks to all that exchanged QTC's and all those that jumped in to give out
contacts even without QTC's.  WriteLog performed to perfection.  The AL-80B
kept plugging away at 500 watts through all those endless CQ's, QSO's & QTC's.
Nothing broke or failed.

I skipped the opening weekend of duck season for this contest and it was well
worth it.  Ray, WF1B, stopped by a few hours before the contest while he and
Suzanne were in town.  He must have brought me luck.  Thanks Ray!

73, Don AA5AU

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com