[3830] CQWW SSB CE4U(CE4USW) SOAB LP

ce4u at qsl.net ce4u at qsl.net
Mon Nov 12 23:03:16 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: CE4U
Operator(s): CE4USW
Station: CE4EBJ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Talca, Chile.

  160:      1      1      1
   80:     90      8      8
   40:     42     13     13
   20:    661     27     50
   15:   1392     32     92
   10:   1823     27     98
-------------------------------
Total:   4009    108    262  =  4,317,160

Club/Team: Southern Cross DX Group - SCDXG

Comments:

This was my first CQWW by myself. I spent two full weeks adjunsting the
monobanders and fixing the respective rotors (none working properly),
besides some minor details with coax lines (special TNX to CE4FXY/CE4Y).
And the result was better than expected.

I decided a LP entry for two reasons: I had faith in the antennas, which are
homemade, and I wanted to break the CE LP record, considering my first serious
attempt in this contest.

I started in 15m and rate was very good: 148 QSO in the first hour and 195 in
the next. My best band was 10m: 209 QSO in hour 23z on Saturday, and 205 in
hour 19z on Sunday. I reached 7 QSO/min several times. I could've continued
in this one but I had planned a minimum percentage's quota for each band.

20m was typical, like a war zone; it's difficult to get heard with 100 watts
there with all that QRM. I did almost nothing in 40m, maybe beacuse I went
there on Sunday only. 80m was great: I had an nice opening to US on Sunday and
made about 80 QSO, VE, VP5, PJ2 and ZL were in the run too. No antenna for
160m, but I heard W3LPL very clearly with 80m's dipole on Sunday morning, I
called several times but I guess my signal was not strong enough; I'll try
again next year.

I had a lot of fun on Sunday's afternoon since propagation was open to both NA
and EU, so I turned the antennas between them: OX. I had a nice pile-up working
both continents.

In general lines, I got more points on Saturday, but I made more QSO on Sunday.
Day 1: 1749 QSO / Day 2: 2260 QSO. I slept 4 and 2 hours, respectively.

I really tried to work everyone who called me. So thank you all. I hope to see
you again in CW version, eventhough I'm not very fast (25 ppm)  :-)

Antennas:	5el for 28 MHz @ 20m high
		4el for 21 MHz @ 20m high
		3el for 14 MHz @ 18m high
		1 dipole for 7 MHz @ 18m high
		1 dipole for 3.5 MHz @ 15m high

Rigs:		TS-430S trasceiver Kenwood
		PS-430 power supply Kenwood
		MC-60A microphone Kenwood
		MDR CD450 phones Sony
		PC Pentium II
		CT 9.67 running under WinME

Name:	      	Juan Pablo Mardones	Call:	CE4USW (contest call CE4U)
Occupation:	University student	Age:	22
Web:		http://www.qsl.net/ce4u (under construction)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com