[3830] ARRL SS CW K1VA SO LP

Robert.Crews at compaq.com Robert.Crews at compaq.com
Sun Nov 18 00:31:07 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: K1VA
Operator(s): K1VA
Station: K1VA

Class: SO LP
QTH: NH

  160:
   80:     45
   10:     67
-------------------------------
Total:   1012 x     76  =  153,824

This was my third attempt at the SS in 25 years. In the past two years,
upgraded
the station's antennas (finally own towers and aluminum), rig, and logging
program. The goal was 1000+ q's (never did it before) with a sweep. Murphy came
around Sunday and nearly threw a monkey wrench into all the goals.

First 12 hours went pretty well -- went to bed at 0900z with ~625 q's in 74
sections. Figured goal was very reachable. Then came Sunday morning. Back on
at 1200z on 80 mtrs. looking for MAR and NL -- usually pretty easy from here at
that time of day. Band was flat so went to 40 and after a few minutes noticed
the FT1000D had no output. The top of the rig was hot enough to fry an egg! The
fan/cooling system had seemingly failed.

I pictured the goals flying away on a pair of wings. Retrieved the TS-440 from
the closet and put the 1000 on a nearby desk to cool off. This was like
changing from a B-52 to a Piper Cub! It took a couple hours getting back into
the swing of things. During this period I was monkeying with the 1000 while
trying to operate the contest -- SO2R :-). After a while I powered up the 1000
and the fan came back! Anyone ever seen this problem? Took another 45 minutes
off reconfiguring the 1000 back into the operating position. You will never
hear me complain about loud fans on the FT1000! Everytime I heard to fan kick
in I breathed a sigh of relief. It made it to the end of the test.

Anyways, my work was cut out for me ... lost a lot of good time and composure
with this problem. The Sunday doldrums were in full swing. Decided to go for
primary goal of breaking 1000 q's and forget the sweep ... not enough time for
both. Broke 1000 with 25 minutes left but missed NL, MAR, YUK, and painfully
ALASKA -- never heard any of them.

As usual, had a great time. TRLog ran like a champ -- what a great logging
program it is. FT100D going back to Yeasu for resolution. Antennas performed as
expected -- the 40-meter beam (3 element M2) just was outstanding. And next
year I'll put more time into operator -- not enough preparation on my part.

As to getting more action in the contest -- yes, we need new blood. Also, there
is plenty of "old blood" around -- we need to get them back into the fold
again.
I'd hate to see the CAC changing rules at this point -- the Sunday slow-down
requires one to improvise and tuff it out. This is part of the flavor for the
SS.

73, Bob / K1VA

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com