[3830] ARRL SS SSB W1ECH SO LP

w1ech at yahoo.com w1ech at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 04:58:20 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: W1ECH
Operator(s): W1ECH
Station: W1ECH

Class: SO LP
QTH: VT

-------------------------------
Total:    320 x     80  =  51,200

Club: Green Mountain Wireless

Comments:

Thank God for the c.w. weekend!

I've been enjoying the SS, on both modes, for over 40 years, but the phone SS
seems to get worse and worse these days. Some stations sounded so bad I have to
think their ops would have been embarassed, with background noise and other
problems all but covering their voices.  The "automatic CQ" devices are
especially bad, with distortion sometimes so bad that some otherwise very loud
signals were all but unintelligible!

Folks, before you enter another phone contest, please check your stations for
proper operation and communication effectiveness -- not just r.f. output! I
know you want to be big and loud and "blow a hole", but what good does that do
if you're actually hard to understand? Please check the compression and audio
levels, on both your live microphone and automatic device(s), and try to have
someone you can trust give you an honest report on the air before you start.

On the brighter side, conditions seemed good.  My wife and I took time to go
out and watch the meteor shower for a while early Sunday morning, too, but it
was pretty cold up here on the mountain.

Now to look for Ducie!

GL/73,

Gary - W1ECH

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com