[3830] ARRL SS SSB K1EP/6 SO LP

k1ep at arrl.net k1ep at arrl.net
Mon Nov 19 10:44:46 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: K1EP/6
Operator(s): K1EP
Station: K1EP/6

Class: SO LP
QTH: SF
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:      7
   40:      3
   20:      7
   15:     30
   10:     29
-------------------------------
Total:     76 x     76  =  11,552

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Being on a business trip, I was antenna challenged.  I had enough room to make
an indoor 10M dipole and after a bit of thought, I made it rotatable!  Well, I
found two positions to hang the wire, E/W for the majority of the day and N/S
when I was looking for those VY1s and AKs.  For the lower bands, 15 through 75,
I got out my credit card and bought the Outbacker Stealth Plus antenna, which
by the way is less than 40" in length.  I was looking for a place to mount the
antenna, when I came across a metal broom.  I had a luggage rack mount for the
Outbacker and it fit perfectly on the end of the broom.  I propped the broom
out on a balcony and added several ground radials from speaker wire.  I was on
the air with my 706 and laptop.  75M was tough as every time I tuned more than
10 or 20 KHz, I had to readjust the antenna.  That meant adding or cutting a
piece of wire to the end of the Outbacker.  But since I had a "tilt over"
mount, it was easy to tune.  My best DX on 75 was MT!  Since I didn't want to
cause too much RFI in an unknown location and because I didn't exactly have a
booming signal, I decided to only S&P.  Unfortunately, being from the east
coast, I know how rare SF can be and was sorry I didn't hand out more.  I did
hear several SF stations on, so I didn't feel too bad.  I was told several
times that I was needed or that I was the last section.  After a while I
realized that I was on a 80Q/80S path, so I tried to work towards that goal.  I
missed NWT, ME, PQ, and MAR.  I thought that NWT would have been easier from
this coast, but I only heard one VY1 and he was mobile.  I really thought that
the broom would have gotten me a clean sweep!  Thanks to all the stations that
pulled me out of the noise.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com