[3830] ARRL SS SSB WP3R(KE3Q) SO HP

ke3q at msn.com ke3q at msn.com
Tue Nov 20 10:50:08 EST 2001

                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: WP3R
Operator(s): KE3Q
Station: WP3R

Class: SO HP
QTH: WA3FET/KP4

  160:      0
   80:      0
   40:     37
-------------------------------
Total:   2491 x     80  =  398,560

Club: POTOMAC VALLEY RADIO CLUB

Comments:

Thanks again to WA3FET for letting me use his Puerto Rico QTH, WP3R for all the
help setting up and keeping things going when the rest of us aren't there, NP4A
for repairs and technical support -- and KP4TG and W3MJ too.

I thought conditions were pretty strange, at least in PR -- deep QSB and an
unusual amount of QRN too.  Due to some antenna switching "issues," I had to
run coax again -- RG8X was the best I could do for 40 but it did the job --
only had enough coax for 40-10 but figured I wouldn't need 80 (or 160 of
course) anyway -- only made about 6 QSOs on 80 last year.

I was ahead of my previous best rate by as much as 100 QSOs in "the first half"
and felt very good about that but that dwindled away on Sunday with rates of 20
or more per hour less than previous years for some reason (conditions and/or
lower activity are my best guesses).  Beat my previous best hour (200 the first
hour in '98) with 202 in the second hour this time.

I lucked out working VO1/VO2 when I made a tentative band change to 15 not
knowing if I was going to stay there more than a few minutes (if I didn't start
getting answers), CQed and VO2AA was the second caller and had a low number.  I
later heard VO1MP on radio 2 and was going to work him when there was a lull on
radio 1.  That happened about 5-10 minutes later but VO1MP was gone.  If I had
still needed VO I'm sure I would have jumped on him when I found him on radio 2
so I probably wouldn't have missed him.  But without lucking onto VO2AA and
without radio two I'd have been in trouble on getting the sweep.

Those several Virgin Islands stations going multiop was an interesting
surprise.

NP4A/M worked me relatively early, eliminating "the WB0O syndrome" (having
trouble finding someone else to work in your own section) for me early, which
was a relief.  This was my 10th contest trip to PR and I finally made the
pilgrimmage to NP4A's great QTH and station.  It reminded me of home -- that
is, lots of Telrex antennas laying around in the weeds.  Pedro is slowly
rebuilding -- prodded by K7JA, 10M yagis are up.  Otherwise, Pedro's mostly
enjoying mobile HF and 160.  He is justifiably proud of his excellent
beverages, typically 2,000' long.

73 - Rich, KE3Q

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com