[3830] CQWW CW N7KU(NJ6D) SOSB/10 HP

cclaver at noao.edu cclaver at noao.edu
Mon Nov 26 09:26:49 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7KU
Operator(s): NJ6D
Station: NJ6D

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Arizona

   10:   1069     35    125
-------------------------------
Total:   1069     35    125  =  447,200

Club/Team:

Comments:

Well...  The contest started great from here, with my score up 30Qs and 5 mults
over last year at the end of the night.  Thanks much to all the stations from
Japan calling in, without you this would have been a very dull contest from the
western US.

I woke Saturday morning ready to have a fun day.  Wow!, was I ever wrong about
that. Through Satuday morning and mid-day I managed to work 3, yes folks 3,
stations out of Europe all with the beam pointed at 120 degrees.  The Carabean
stations were non-existant until mid-day here.  On top of this, on occasions
South America took a fade with only a few of the stronger PYs and LUs coming
throughr.  From 1400-2000 UTC I worked only 50 stations.  It seemed anything on
a beam heading north of 110 degrees from here was dead Saturday due to the
storm.

Saturday evening was pretty good into Asia.  Thanks again to the stations from
Japan.  I ended the evening with a good mult from UK9AA on a skewed path (290
degrees) at 0245 UTC, followed by finding XU7.  At the end of the night I was
at 604Qs 30Zs 75Cs.  Reading the comments from W4ZV, I was actually up on his
Qs at this point, this just underscores the importance of running EU and having
a great QTH, normally ZV would have been well ahead.

Sunday morning was MUCH better, with signals coming from their typical
directions and sounding strong.  I hunted around for a bit looking for mults
and finally settled in around 75.5 for a nice run at EU from 1450 through
18:30.  The run ended after EU went into darkness and I hunted mults again with
a few goodies ending in the log (5H, 3V8, D44, FR5, CU2).

The rest of Sunday was a grind.  Most everyone I came across was already in the
log.  I managed a handfull of South Americans and a few new Caribean mults, but
not much else.  I ended with a short run on 12.5 which netted my final mult
from FK8 - thanks!

Another contest in the books.

Cheers - Chuck.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com