[3830] CQWW CW CT9M(DL2CC) SOAB(A) HP

frank at grossmann.com frank at grossmann.com
Tue Nov 27 11:52:40 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CT9M
Operator(s): DL2CC
Station:

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Madeira

  160:     76      9     38
   80:    175     19     59
   40:    566     25     84
   20:   1328     37    115
   15:   1561     38    121
   10:   1767     36    132
-------------------------------
Total:   5473    160    549  =  11,531,885

Club/Team: RRDXA

Comments:

I took an electric heater with me. Gave me some warmth this time, after coming
to CT3 last year with sandals and t-shirt only - freezing!

The CQ9K QTH is actually on a 600m hilltop, often in the clowds (looks great),
always cold, always windy.

Instead of a planned 2:45 break my body went for an almost 5 hour break.
Went to bed sunday at 02z, set the alarm at 4:45.

As a security measure, I set the alarm at 4:50, 5:00, 5:05 as well.

As a generally light sleeper - I set, as a last but planned as unnecessary
step, the alarm also at 6:40. The alarm clock was right next to my ear.
Guess which one woke me up ??????

Next time I need some human assistance in keeping me awake.

Pileups were great, PacketClusters not only a blessing but also a problem,
actually pileups were often much too big, with rates going really down.
Sometimes just one big mess hurting the ear.

I wish more operators would understand the principle of calling zero beat and
slightly off zero beat when everybody is calling zero beat. Some guys, even
weak ones, just know how to get through a big pile up.

I actually like to listen with a wider filter, sorting out the calls by
frequency (trying to be like big Fred one day..).

On the low bands it was practically impossible to call CQ. So I spent quite
some time searching for mults trying to make it up with higher rates on the
higher bands.

Some amazing OPs out there. Moving from band to band in a matter of
milliseconds or so it seems. I remember ZD8Z - moved him 20->15->40->80->160
basically all in one minute...

RIG: FT1000MP with TS870 as 2nd radio (practically never used), Writelog,
AL1500 running at 1kw out.
Ant: 3el tribander for 20/15/10, short 2el for 40, dipoles for 80/160.

Thanks to the CQ9K Madeira Contest Team (CT3DL, CT3EE, CT3IA, CT3BD, CT3KU,
CT3EN) for support. They setup the station before the contest and took
everything in the shack including the coax down after the contest at 00z. The
equipment was gathered from people from all over the island!

Thanks to Walter, CT9L (DJ6QT), for allowing me to sleep and operate in his
shack the days before the contest and driving me around on the island.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com