[3830] CQWW CW VE6SV M/S HP

gkosmenko at arrowspeed.com gkosmenko at arrowspeed.com
Tue Nov 27 12:36:07 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6SV
Operator(s):
Station: VE6SV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Sherwood Park, AB

  160:      1      1      1
   80:     44     10      9
   40:    263     21     34
   20:    640     36    107
   15:    581     28    106
   10:    423     29     77
-------------------------------
Total:   1952    125    334  =  2,086,614

Club/Team:

Comments:

The operating plan, strategy and effort was refined to exceed last year’s score
was destroyed by Mother Nature (again) with over 12 hours of radio blackout at
our QTH. It started about 0600 Saturday and did not “start” to show signs of
recovery until Sunday around 1500 hrs.  The low band absorption robbed us of
many QSOs and multipliers on 40M, 80M and 160M.

Saturday afternoon we seriously considered in throwing-in-the-towel, but the
bands seemed to show us signs of improving for brief periods and we all decided
to tough it out. Especially when one of the guest ops showed with a new Icom
756 Pro II, T-bone steaks with all the fixings and advanced liquid refreshment.

Here’s the scenario now at the station come Saturday evening around 10:00 pm,
we are under radio blackout because of the intense particle storm, barbecuing
T-bone steaks in the garage (because its –15 degrees C outside and snowing),
drinking beer and feeling up a new transceiver and struggling to maintain a QSO
rate of 10 a hour ! Does it get any better than this ? We had a micro-hamfest
in full swing well into the early morning hours and it was great !

Sunday was a fun day contesting with the somewhat return of average conditions.
The multiplier station had a lot of multiplier hunting to do and the run
station continued to struggle to push and keep the QSO rate above 100 Qs an
hour average.

On behalf of the Sierra Victor team I thank all the folks that provided us a
QSO in CQWW DX CW 2001.

73 from the team members,

VA6EA, VA6LBI, VA6WWW, VE6AKY, VE6EZ, VE6NAP, VE6NTF, VO1CV & VE6SV

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com