[3830] CQWW SSB N0AH SOAB HP

dinsterdog at aol.com dinsterdog at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 21:09:21 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N0AH
Operator(s): N0AH
Station: N0AH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Wyoming

  160:      8      4      6
   80:     26     11     26
   40:
   20:      3      3      3
   15:     11      6      9
   10:     31     17     23
-------------------------------
Total:     79     41     67  =  8,532

Club/Team:

Comments:

Low Band Soap Box
Enjoyed hunting for new band countries, as well as surfing 80/160 for new
ones........but as much fun as it was, I am always amazed at the comedy and
rudeness in the 3.790-3.800MHz window between the hicks who love to rag chew in
the middle for grins and the die hard left coasters who park in the VK window
running so broad banded that just one W6 can shut off an entire VK region by
perpetual CQ's that for the most part, go unanswered.  I about puked when I
heard one W6 station parked there for what seem like days run a list type
operation for a few east coasters so that they could call a couple of VK's at
his mercy....then he gets all bent when people tried to remind him that the VK
window was only 1/2 the size of his carrier- but it is a contest!.........I
thought the 160 meter volunteer window was a big success but I did stress out
my gear trying to run up the band for DX hanging out high and had to dodge rag
chewers who seemed a bit miffed by all the activity-  I tried to suggest to one
DX station under the window early on to run split, but I had to call him first,
right?  Next thing I see is a nasty gram on the cluster from a local who
claimed to be someone else, gasp! a real shocker eh?  - but what can you do?  I
only worked one station below 1.843 (sue me) but it was a double mult and I
didn't even realize I worked him below the window at 1.841MHz in the dulldrums
of late night VFO twirling- Below the window, juicey DX had many a run going
with stateside ops, but I only heard a couple of stateside stations calling CQ
below 1.843MHz.  I think it was pretty much par for the course on the low bands
in the dreadful conditions we had here-  No EU except for a couple of stations
like CT9L and CU2CE but decent openings to VK, PAC and JA. Nothing heard/worked
from main-land Asia or EU from here in Wyoming-  and a true lack of DX'ers on
PAC islands...But a lot of DX in zones 8,9, 10, 11 and 13 for fun...What gets
me is that with an every night effort on 80 meters 2 seasons ago to work as
much as humanly possible, compared to a part time playing around effort this
season, I have the exact same number countries worked since Sept 1st at a
season to date number of 83.  See you all in SS, as it is the only contest I
plan a serious effort for this season- and of course, more low band surfing
during CQWWCW-

73  Paul  N0AH
Carpenter, Wyoming

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com