[3830] CQWW SSB W4NF SOAB(A) HP

w4nf at aol.com w4nf at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 13:32:42 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA

  160:      8      4      5
   80:     50     10     36
   40:    106     18     64
   20:    477     30    107
   15:    523     34    116
   10:   1117     38    137
-------------------------------
Total:   2281    134    465  =  3,936,628

Club/Team: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had a great time and the conditions were excellent.  I also saw the slow
opening of the high bands on Sunday morning that some others also noted but
overall I'll take conditions like this anytime.  The score may go up a little
as my country database did not recognize XP1AB as OX but rather as ON.  So add
3 more countries to the totals above.  As a SOAB (Assisted) guy you would think
that I spent time making sure my packet connection was rock solid.  Well, it
wasn't.  I think I had to re-log on about every hour when the traffic was
heavy.  I think I'll become my own node.  The highlight of the contest has to
have been the great rates on 10 Meters on Saturday.  Starting at 1100Z I had
rates of 114, 137, 109, 111, 92 and 85.  I had higher rates last year but not
for that long.  Thanks to the DX for all the Qs and I'll CU all in SS CW next
week.  73, Jack W4NF

Antennas
Force 12 C3E @ 87’ (rotatable)
Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 75’ (rotatable)
Force 12 C3E @ 58’ (fixed on Europe Northeast)
Cushcraft A3S @ 35’ (fixed Southeast)
80 Meter Vertical running up the side of the tower (with 64 ground radials)
160 Meter Inverted L also running up the side of the tower (both verticals use
the same feedpoint and ground radials)
80 Meter Dipole @ 65’
Unterminated 580’ long Beverage NE/SW

Tower

Rohn 25G 75’
Guyed with 1/4” EHS at 3 places on the tower
Rotor – Ham IV
(2) 700’ long runs of Hardline (3/4” 75 ohm and 7/8” 50 ohm)

Antenna Switching and Stacking

6 x 2 Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Match (all 3 tribanders are connected to the Stack Match)

Station

Rig			FT 1000MP
Amp			Alpha 374A (160 – 10 Meters) anyone have any cheap 8874s
Keyer			AEA Contester CK-2 with Bencher
Computer		Pentium 100
Logging Software	DX4WIN
Contesting Software	K8CC’s NA DATOM Home
Band Switching		Top Ten Devices Band Decoder
DVK/CW Keying		W9XT Contest Card
Antenna Switch		WX0B Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Switch		WX0B Array Solutions Stack Match

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com