[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

n4tz at arrl.net n4tz at arrl.net
Tue Oct 30 13:28:20 EST 2001

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     10      4      6
   80:     44      9     25
   40:     72     13     38
   20:    240     30     84
   15:    319     24     91
   10:    583     31    109
-------------------------------
Total:   1268    111    353  =  1,655,088

Club/Team: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

As usual, the first contest of the season found me doing antenna
work up to the last minute.  The weekend before the contest I installed
two ring rotors, erected a  4 square for 80meters, and an inverted L
for 160m.  Cabling these items was finished about 2 hours before the
contest started.

Random comments:

Only 80 of my QSOs were the results of CQing.

What is the CQWW committee's concept of power measurement?  Although
I run 100 watts PEP output from the ONMI VIs, as confirmed by external
wattmeters on CW, with 100 w PEP measured by monitor scopes, the peak
power on two different  DAIWA wattmeters was about 10 watts.  If
wattmeter reading is used, then by turning down the drive only slightly,
I would have had a QRP entry with a highly competitive score.....

I was very disappointed in the amount of low band activity heard here
compared with that heard in the ARRL SSB contest this year.  The noise
was as low on 160m as during the ARRL CW contest in Februrary, but little
was heard.

Station description:

 Two TenTec OMNI VI+s, 100 watts PEP output into 400 feet of coax to
 homebrew sixpack at base of tower.

 My single (fully-loaded) tower now sports the following antennas:

 40  - 402-CD @ 120'(interlaced with 20m)
       402-CD @ 62' fixed on EU (interlaced with 20m) on ring rotor

 20  - 5el, 48' boom @ 120' (40 interlaced on this boom)
       5el, 48' boom @ 62' fixed on EU (40 interlaced on this boom)

 15  - 5el @ 130',5el @ 99' and 45' on ring rotors, 5el @ 75' fixed on EU

 10 -  5el yagis interlaced on all 15 meter antennas

 80 - 4 square

160 - 75' high inverted L

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com