[3830] CQ/RJ 2001 RTTY Contest

Tom Osborne w7why at harborside.com
Mon Sep 24 12:13:53 EDT 2001

CQ WW RTTY Contest

Call used: W7WHY
Location:  OR

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band, Low Power

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX  Zones
80        12    12    10     1     3  Dipole
40        27    30    20     2     3  3 phased verticals
20        85   183    23    28    19  H.B. 2 el monobander
15        55   105    19    12    12  Delta Loop
10        21    39     9     5     5  H.B 2 el. monobander
--------------------------------------
Total    200   369    81    48    42

--------------------------------------

Claimed Score: 63099

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v5.02

Equipment:
Radio 1  FT-840, MFJ 784B DSP.
Radio 2  TS-430, MMTTY + H.B. all band vertical
Power: 75 watts

Comments:  Boy, what a freaking disaster this weekend was.  I
picked up a '430 from a CB'er, cheap, to try the SO2R route.  Put
up a vertical G5RV to use on the 2nd radio.  About a half hour
before the contest started, I was checking out the gear and the
wife tells me I'm blowing the TV off the table.  Something was
wrong with the 40 meter antenna and was getting all sorts of TVI.
Then I tried listening on the 2nd radio and the computer was
making so much noise in it I couldn't copy anything.  So
much for twinlead in the shack.  I finally took the 10 meter
antenna off radio 1 and put it on radio 2.  Should be able to CQ
on 10 and tune for mults on the other bands.  Not!  Every time I
keyed the 10 meter radio, the computer went bonkers.  I spent the
whole day Saturday building a vertical to use on radio 2 and
finding out what was wrong with the 40 meter verticals.  Said the
heck with it and just quit.  Got on last night and got on and
made a few contacts to see what was going on.  The vertical I
built worked pretty well and was able to make quite a few
contacts on it.  Think it's going to work out OK.
I was surprised how easy it was to make Q's with 75 watts.  I
even worked Barry on 75.  He must have a good rx ant.  I think
I've got some of the bugs ironed out now so next time things may
be a whole lot better.  Can even make Q's on 2 radios at the same
time now.
73
Tom W7WHY

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com