[3830] WPX SSB 9A5E(9A3GW) SOSB40 HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Tue Apr 2 04:22:54 EST 2002

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 9A5E
Operator(s): 9A3GW
Station: 9A5E

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Zagreb

   40: 1539

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

Only reason to try 40m in wpx was 12 hours pause and chance to spend most of it
during Eastern morning.
Initial 36 hours contest become 46 hours contest with just 2 hours of some kind
of sleep.
But let start from begening.
As usually night before contest was problematic with sleep. After job I drive
immediate
to contest location with idea of puting one beverage 80m to USA. Don't beleive
that
this piece of wire could beat 3 over 3 but keep reading.
Have just two hours before dark but I put everything in time. First testing show
that
beverage is working. After setting all other equipment decide to check condition
on 40m
to east. Usually it's enough to rotate beam and listen band but what to do when
antenna
don't move. Haven't any lucky with rotator and decide not to give up but work
first night
and than in the morning climp on the tower and check. Now I have 3 over 3 to USA
and
1 beverage again to USA. Nothing to east. Because of that reason my first hours
suffer
from lack of UA stations. When condition move slowely to west my qso number
start to raise.
And main thing was then my antenna fingers was mostly pressing button with
beverage antenna.
It was amaizing but this few step antenna beat 3 over 3 at least in 60% of
qso's.
Plan was to make just two hours of pause first day and 10 more second. But...
My morning inspection of rotator don't bring me nothing but just one way ticket
with
moving top antenna to norteast . After that I decide not to spend more energy on
beam
antennas but instead of that to put another beverage to east. This was not
closed
beverage and shorter beverage but this two shows more or less adventage that
beams.
Now was time to take sleep. Two hours of rotating in the bad was not enough but
still
I have to spend next day with family. Instead of 2 hours I take in total 4
hours.
2 on antenna job and 2 hours of sleep.
Next 17 hours and spend in the chair and because of summer time clock change
stop
to work at 0540 (band was still open and crowded) and drive to my home, take
shower,
get shave and drive to the other side of town to join my small family during
eastern
breakfast. After morning..... others decide to go outside (day was beautiful)
and left
my soul in next 2 hours peace. When they get back lunch was on the table and
torture
to my stomack continue. After first lunch two hours later I move to my mother in
law
house to some another lunch, that take my family home and drive back to
location.
It was 16:24 gmt and litle more pause than I need but with less that 8 hours to
run.
At the end of  contest , exactly 15 minutes before end, find myself wondering
where
am I and what am I doing at this place. That close the book and I just lay
down
on bad.

So if organizer read this please put me in category:

	36 plan, 34 do, 2 lunch, one climbing, one beverage first day, two another.

	yes, unassited of course.

Some statistics:

North America     361    23.1
South America      14     0.9
Europe           1056    67.6
Asia              106     6.8
Africa              9     0.6
Oceania            15     1.0

Because contest is my number one priority in ham life and don't have
to much time for other activities , anyone who want to exchange qsl
cards, do that sending your card direct with post expence to:

Robert Orehoci
Zavrsje 1. odvojak 24
10090 Zagreb
Croatia