[3830] WPX SSB AL1G(@KL7Y) M/S HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Tue Apr 2 22:04:48 EST 2002

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AL1G
Operator(s): AL1G, KL7Y, WA2GO, KL7FH, AL7PJ, & KL7CC
Station: KL7Y

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Alaska

   20: 1248
   15: 1868

Contest started great, over 800 Qs in the first 4 hours, but then things went
from good to fair, then to poor, then to bad, and finally to dismal as the
aurora nearly covered the whole sky.  Thought we were coming out of the bad
propagation Sat eve as the bands started a comeback, but it was not to last.
10m ran 409 Qs at the start of the contest, but managed only 68 for the entire
rest of the contest, most of those on backscatter.  UGH!  I know you guys get
tired of hearing the KL7s complain about aurora - so do we.

AL1G was kind enough to let us use her call - I think she's getting the hang of
this contest thing.

One antenna went dead and blew a fuse in the amp during the contest.  Suspect
damage to the coax from a passing moose.  Murphy can find more ways....

But all had a good time, and that's what really counts.

                                                      de KL7Y