[3830] CQWW CW K7KU(K0KR) SOAB HP

K0KR at arrl.net K0KR at arrl.net
Tue Dec 3 11:44:47 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7KU
Operator(s): K0KR
Station: W7ZQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Wyoming

  160:   11     7        9
   80:   34    15       21
   40:  332    27       82
   20:  598    31       88
   15:  480    30       80
   10:  288    24       50

Transceiver:  single TS-950SDX
Amplifier:    single Alpha 89
Antennas:     10M:  4el Quad on 30' boom up 180'
              15M:  4el Quad on 30' boom up 180'
              20M:  4el Quad on 30' boom up 180'
              40M:  2el Quad on 30' boom up 180'

              (the four antennas listed above are all on a single boom,
              and are fed with a single feed line switched at the top of the
              tower)

              80M:   2el collinear array up 156'
              160M:  lazy V with top at 160', bottom at 4', and feed point
                     at 82'

Comments:

CW might be well on its way to becoming a relic of history.  The CQWW-CW contest
demonstrates, however, that throughout this crazy world there remains an amazing
collection of gifted, highly qualified practitioners of the CW art.  Without
this international human treasure, this contest could not exist.  CW ops of the
world, I love you and I salute you.

A handful of DX operators, on the other hand, seemed perversely resistant to
making corrections to their copying errors, even after numerous QRS repeats.
Could it be that a call sign, once typed into the computer log, acquires a
certain inertia because some operators, having made the entry in the first
instance, more or less consider their work done?

In operating this contest, I had the advantage of the exceptional capabilities
(with minor reservations noted below) of the antenna system built and maintained
by Jim Lindsay, W7ZQ, in west-central WY.

On transmit, the superb performance of Jim's antennas 10M through 40M, plus
160M, was a genuine luxury.  This was most evident, perhaps, on 40M, where the
full-size quad, high in the air, seemed to me to be a world beater.

I myself have spent just enough time working at the top of Jim's tower in recent
years to be able to attest, without fear of contradiction, to the assiduous
effort it takes to keep all of this hardware up and working in the rugged and
unforgiving WY climate.

Jim's antenna system does present a few minor limitations, strictly from a
contester's narrow perspective.  I hasten to say, however, that Jim did not
design his system with the rather special needs of contesting in mind.  Jim's
goal, rather, was to achieve maximum general and DX performance from a
single-tower installation.  That he achieved the goal in awe-inspiring fashion
cannot be questioned.

The minor limitations are described in paragraphs a., b., and c., below.

a.  Jim's two-element collinear array for 80M constituted a bit of a handicap.
The collinear has bi-directional gain NE/SW, which proved to be a decided
negative in this particular test.  One notatable exception was the 80M long-path
opening Sunday AM, where the collinear's pattern was right on the money.

b.  I ended up doing most of my low-band listening on the transmit antennas.
Jim's only beverage receiving antenna, to the NE, again was not much help in the
conditions of this contest.  (I confess to having become spoiled by the
magnificent performance and convenience of the beverage system at N2IC.  Steve
has a comprehensive collection of instantly selectable, near-optimum-length,
terminated beverages, one for each of the important compass points.  That
assortment is often useful, for azimuth-scouting and other quick-turnaround
receiving purposes, even on the higher bands, in lieu of having to rotate the
beams.)

c.  All of Jim's 10M-40M antennas are on but a single feed line.  Such an
arrangement precludes the efficient, modern practice of listening (or making a
quick QSO) on Radio 2 while a CQ is in progress on Radio 1.  Thus, my operation
in this test was a one-radio affair.  This discouraged the moving of
multipliers, and otherwise impaired the station's "agility."

Uli Bettin, DL3OI, operated ARRL DX CW SOAB(A) from W7ZQ in 2001 and 2002, with
outstanding success.  I tip my hat to Uli:  although he operated in different
contests, in a different category, and under decidedly different propagation,
his hard-driving, impressive performances reveal, with better accuracy than my
own effort I am afraid, just what the W7ZQ antennas can make possible.

Because of Jim's hot-performing antennas, I was hoping the contest would be as
pleasant as an afternoon stroll in the park, with such joyful things as deep and
long QSO runs.  I got a quick education about just how unrealistic it was to
harbor such optimistic expectations in west-central WY during disturbed, auroral
conditions.  In particular, I received a lesson (as if any were needed) as to
how different (and more difficult) things sometimes can be in northern 7 land
than in north-central CO where I am accustomed to operating.

I tip my hat particularly to two of my tough and able competitors in the 7th
call area, W2VJN and W7GG, each of whom delivered a formidable performance in
what, in their State of OR, must have been (if my experience in WY provides any
basis to judge) somewhat frustrating conditions.

While I have never before attempted CQWW-CW seriously in the SOAB category, I do
not have the excuse of being a contest rookie.  I was guilty, nevertheless, of
one or two rookie-like mistakes of time allocation, principally in staying up
too late on Saturday night and, in consequence, getting started too late on
Sunday morning to exploit, among other valuable opportunities, a goodly chunk of
the predictable 40M JA run.

I experienced a few problems with the default settings on the particular version
of TR-Log that I used.  I was not adept enough to study and alter the defaults
during the hurly-burly of the contest itself.  In the most important aspects,
TR-Log performed admirably.

Overall, this was a fun, fun contest, and a big-time learning experience.

MNI TNX to N2IC for encouragement, for the loan of several handy station gizmos,
and for many useful tips as to station setup in a quasi-DXpedition situation.

Last, but by no means least, MNI TNX to Jim Lindsay and XYL Bonnie who
graciously provided amp, desk space, AC power, and world-class antennas, and who
willingly suffered my disruptive presence throughout the weekend.

73 until next time,
Bob, K0KR