[3830] SS SSB VA7RR Single Op LP

va7rr at telus.net va7rr at telus.net
Mon Dec 9 19:06:19 EST 2002

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VA7RR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

Sorry to be so late in posting.
     It's been a really interesting kick off to the fall contest season.  I
joined the K1KI multi-two team for Worldwide Phone, did SS Phone from here at my
 home station, and finished off with a 15M single band effort from VE6JY for CW
WW.
     Decided to try low power for SS Phone.  I didn't have any idea what to
expect in terms of a score, but I knew that my best shot at a competitive number
 was to spend as little time as possible on 40 and 80, and "hang my hat" on the
high bands.
     My normal strategy when doing HP in SS is to try and stay in the middle of
the band--kind of in the middle of the activity.  I found out very quickly that
this kind of thinking doesn't cut it when running LP on SSB. The KW stations
just take you out. So I went either high in the band or low in the band, looking
for clear spots where I could attract some attention.
     The first hour on 10 was a 152, but it tailed off after that (hours from
120 down to 90 or so), and when I got to 40 at about 04Z, the rate really
dropped off.
     Rates on Sunday were surprisingly good, however,with about 800 QSOs in the
log. I don't know if I was just lucky, or whether I benefitted from a lack of
activity out of British Columbia this time out.
     Thanks to all for the Q's.

73,

Gary VA7RR