[3830] ARRL 10 4U1ITU M/S HP

f6irf at free.fr f6irf at free.fr
Mon Dec 16 02:41:22 EST 2002

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: 4U1ITU
Operator(s): F5IQA F6HYE F6IOC F6IRF
Station: 4U1ITU

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Geneva
Operating Time (hrs): 22:30

   CW:  941   135
  SSB:  896   145
-------------------
Total: 1837   280  Total Score = 1,555,680

Club: IARC

Comments:

Rig:  KW - FB53 / 4el monobander

Nice weekend but too short! The band died both evenings around 18:00 local
time;
with such a shortened window with states it was difficult to expect a high score
(900 QSO's less than from TK5T last year, but the band remained widely open
until midnight).
Surprisingly, we never got "sustained pile-ups" for long periods; only rates
"bursts" in relation with the cluster-spots. On the other hand, thanks to the
cluster, we did slightly better on the multiplier side (+30 - even though a
large number of pile-ups remained unbreakable). High local noise and strong echo
affecting many EU-stations on backscatter (especialy in the morning) has also
been an important rate-limitation factor.
It is amazing to see the number of stations (sorry, especialy in states!) who
still do not know the callsign... We sometimes had to repeat up to 10 times
number4-Uniform-number1  (or NOT "VU" in CW). Anyway, this is part of the game
and the pleasure of operating a "local rare-DX" remains...
Compaired to the hard conditions experienced last year, we really appreciated
the comfort of the schak and the fact that everything worked smoothly (not even
a single computer reboot!).

Thanks to our numerous spotters, to Charles F8BMX and to Ivan OM3CGN for their
friendly visits.
All QSO's will be confirmed via buro.

Multipliers Summary
====================