[3830] ARRL 10 K8MR SO Mixed HP

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Dec 16 15:20:26 EST 2002

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: OH

   CW:  656   116
  SSB:  519   124
-------------------
Total: 1175   240  Total Score = 878,880

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I did not intend to seriously do this one.  I had a few qsos Friday night, and
slept in until 9:30am on Saturday.  But things went well, so I kept at it until
6 pm Saturday, when I quit to go to the company Christmas party that evening.  I
did set the alarm clock to get up Sunday morning, and operated most of the day,
save for a couple of hour breaks in the afternoon.

I had the most unusual qso(s) in quite  while.  While lying in bed reading
Saturday night, the power went off.  After a few minutes it became apparent that
it wasn't about to come back soon, so I decided to use the opportunity to check
how my chronic line noise sounded with the power out. (Interestingly, it was
*worse* - perhaps related to whatever had failed?)  So by flashlight, I pulled
out a 20AH lead acid battery, hooked up the radio, and listened.  There were
still a few signals, including K0HA in Nebraska on CW, which I knew I needed.
So I pulled the paddle from the keyer, stuck it in the IC-746, and worked him!
For good measure I also worked N5XZ. I later worked K0HA on SSB, but never heard
him again on code.

I'm not sure if conditions were down from previous years, or if I've just been
operating too much 10 meters from K8AZ (4 high stack of 5Ls) in recent DX
contests.

Happy holidays to all!

Jim   K8MR