[3830] ARRL 10 WO1N M/S HP

wo1n at arrl.net wo1n at arrl.net
Sun Dec 22 19:48:43 EST 2002

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N + PACKET
Station: WO1N

Class: M/S HP
QTH: EMA

   CW:  217    84
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  217    84  Total Score = 72,912

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another casual, part time effort from the home QTH using packet and all
strapping 200 Watts out of the FT1000D into the TA33 way up there at 38'. This
one included one brief trip into the "Twilight Zone" too. I'll explain below.

 When I do these style, casual effort, contests I pop in the chair as I walk
through the shack, make a few Q's, go back to whatever else I was doing etc.
Generally I will start at the bottom of the band and sweep up working and
spotting everything I hear.

 I'm also a new user to WriteLog, so I'm still working out INI file setup
issues. For instance I noticed the beam headings were messed up, so I took the
time to sort that out during the contest. Once or twice while running a few I
noticed the Super Check Partial wasn't working so I stopped to sort that out and
also downloaded the latest database off of K1EA.COM. Turns out I didn't
completely get it sorted as you have to edit the path in one of the setup
screens.

 So, it's early Sunday afternoon and Europe is just about ready to shutdown. I
swept up the band to about 28050, found a hole and started calling CQ. Careful
now, you are about to enter the "Twilight Zone". After struggling with a couple
of PW Europeans, and getting no help from SuperCheck, I whacked what I later
figured out was F12, hoping to toggle the SuperCheck screen from Check Log only
to Master.DTA which I had just downloaded (I'm not even sure WL has this
feature). Turns out in WriteLog F12 doesn't do that. What it did was send me to
28034, which I never even noticed. I was calling CQ and worked about a half
dozen stations and I suddenly notice I'm not where I thought I was, right at
that instance I get called by S2G. Now I've made a lot of Q's over the years but
I still get a charge when a rare one stops by. I did not want to bust this Q, so
I made the op come back at least 3 times of which the last go around was at 20
wpm. Get him in the log and sit there in a daze for about 2 minutes trying to
figure out what just happened!

 Judging by the entries submitted to 3830 it looks like a lot of us had fun on
this one.

 73,
 Ken
 WO1N