[3830] ARRL 10 VE3NZ SO CW QRP

ve3nz at pathcom.com ve3nz at pathcom.com
Mon Dec 23 11:03:58 EST 2002

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE3NZ
Operator(s): VE3NZ
Station: VE3NZ

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Toronto

   CW:  364    92
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  364    92  Total Score = 134,688

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Last Summer I had a lot's of fun and 140 QSO-s in the FD running 250 mW on 40
mtrs. Now "beefed up" with a 4 EL monobander the same power was a lot mightier
on 10 meter. At the end of Saturday I was even secretly hoping to break the
Canadian QRP record :-). On Sunday afternoon in 2 hrs and 38 minutes I worked
six continents for my milliwatt WAC (54,000 km total). But the most amazing
thing happened on Saturday abt. 1900 UT, when I worked RK9JWR. He was 449, my
beam was 90 degrees off on KL7, but I called him anyway. He came back for the
first call. His local time was about midnight, not the best time for 10m DXing,
maybe he could not sleep? It is incredible what 250 mW can do on ten. (This is
the same power, your old style rig was using to illuminate the meter with a mini
bulb.) Sunday I started having  hard time, trying to work up my multipliers.
Backscatter is not particularly favoring a mW entrant. At the end the record was
not broken, but I had my best contest ever. I will try this again with the
addition of one or two more antennas and a rotor. (I am getting too old for
manually turning the beam)
Thank you for all, who spent time to copy my tiny signal.

Season's Greetings

73's George, ve3nz