[3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed LP

n8ii at aol.com n8ii at aol.com
Tue Dec 24 10:20:58 EST 2002

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW: 1026   122
  SSB:  689   131
-------------------
Total: 1715   253  Total Score = 1,389,910

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I managed to get the family Xmas duties pretty much out of the way to make a
serious effort at the 10M contest, for a change. The test started off with a few
strong West Coast stns plus SA, no Asia, rates were not great. Saturday AM, I
started a bit late running Eu on CW. Around 13Z, precipitation static hit with a
vengance making the run impossible. So, I went to S&P on SSB which went
pretty well followed by a SSB run gathering Eu mults along the way. This helped,
because Sunday, the CW run was too good to break away from. Best West
Coast hour was 20Z and despite very little luck with running JA's managed a 70+
hour on CW running mostly West Coast. The JA's were in extremely late til about
0120Z thanks probably to Es link-up with F2. Tom, K2UOP asked me for a QSY to CW
so he could get his own state which worked out well as a Es opening was getting
established to the Gulf Coast area. I caught 3 new CW states then went to SSB
and picked up some new ones there. I must have asked about 6 MS stations for a
QSY to CW, none would oblidge. The Sunday EU CW run was great from 1220-16Z,
loud signals right up thru Scandanvia (both days) and peaked during the 13Z and
15Z hours at 105/hr. The last afternoon featured endless S&P with very little
run time after Eu faded out. I had almost no luck moving stations to the
opposite mode or poaching for mults.
Thanks for the Q's, the 10M test is my favorite. Happy holidays.