[3830] RAC Winter VE7ASK SOAB LP

ve7ask at rac.ca ve7ask at rac.ca
Sat Dec 28 23:36:46 EST 2002

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

   80:   37     0        6         0
   40:    9     0        4         0
   20:   59     0        7         0
   15:   81     0        4         0
   10:    5     0        0         0
Total:  191     0       21         0  Total Score = 21,588

Was in and out a few times, as time allowed. Son's hockey tournament and a few
other nice-to-have obstacles kept me from putting in a full-time effort.

The home antenna "farm" is more like an antenna "window planter" right now --
never got all the wire back up that I borrowed for CQWW CW, hi. Managed to get a
line out to one disconnected G5RV at 11 p.m. local (0800Z) on Friday night.
Rather cold and dark out there in the back yard about then. Look ma, no solder.
The hand-crimped wire connections held out in the wind till about 2300Z, leaving
me with the vertical and hexagonal beam for the last-hour dash to the finish
line. The old Accukeyer started acting up, too, but a hard reset cured it.
Apologies to anyone who received an exchange consisting of 10 or 20 dits.

Conditions weren't too hot on any band here. Still, there were noticeable
windows of opportunity on 15m and 20m (working sequences of very polite and at
times very strong JA ops on 15 is a hoot). Had a great time with the contest,
and really enjoyed working all the VEs. Thanks to all I worked, and to the RAC
organizers.

Here's looking forward to a fantastic 2003 -- new antenna ideas, better
prepraration, etc. And a ton of contests to enjoy if the XYL will let me get
away with half as many as I played in this year.

73,

Bud, VE7ASK