[3830] TBDC N0AX Single Op LP

n0ax at arrl.net n0ax at arrl.net
Sun Dec 29 14:56:32 EST 2002

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N0AX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA

Total:  QSOs = 77  Total Score = 538

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Too much holiday entertaining and no afternoon nap with predictable results
:-)

While conditions weren't really very good, I was able to really work on the
receive options, rewiring the receive antenna switching a couple of times during
the contest.  Improved grounding over the past week, putting out a dozen
"temporary" radials, and a good wind storm that shook up the power lines really
improved the noise levels and transmit efficiency.  QSB was really of long
duration - as noted by several others.  K7RAT in nearby OR was fairly consistent
with about a 20 dB swing, while W7GG a little farther away would change from
10-20 over S-9 to S5 at different times of the evening.  Absorbtion seemed to
vary greatly - the ionosphere seemed fairly unstable.

Although only low power, several answered my CQs from the East Coast, plus NL7Z
surprised me.  Not as much as receiving a long call from VY1JA, though, who
called twice to be sure we exchanged information correctly - thanks, J!  Working
FM5BH was a treat - and the best DX, as well.

While the solar disturbances didn't allow us to see it, I think Top Band
conditions will provide a few surprises this season.

73, Ward N0AX