[3830] TBDC N6RO Single Op HP

n6ro at jazznut.com n6ro at jazznut.com
Sun Dec 29 21:03:39 EST 2002

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6RO
Operator(s): N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CM98

Total:  QSOs = 91  Total Score = 350

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This one started out ok. I interrupted my RAC effort at 15Z to get 25 Qs in 25
minutes.  In the last hour of RAC, 23Z on Saturday, a powerful cold front came
through and set off a monster power line noise - 30 over S9 on 160m, severe pix
interference through CH 6 TV. (today I drove around and could hear it on the AM
BC band for 4 miles in every direction from the suspected source about 2 miles
north of me(haven't pinned it down to a pole yet).  PGE is too busy restoring
power these days to mess with RFI.  Hope to get it cured by NAQP.

I S&P'd a few times Saturday night, picking off the strong sigs that could get
thru the noise, or thru the AGC/blanker crud from local sigs.  Didn't even try
for a JA opening.  Was pooped out from the full-bore RAC effort, but would have
endured if condx/noise had permitted.  This contest combo gets harder as I age
into my late 60's.

This is one of the very few 160m contests that I have quit because of power
line/rain static noise.   It just was not fun, unlike the RAC; the all-band/both
mode/good rate event which shares the weekend with STEW.  Looking up the
calendar/prop. cycle, the only way for 160m is UP! Let's hope that starts on the
CQWW weekends.

N6RO