[3830] Stew Perry IV3PRK SO HP

luisprk at tin.it luisprk at tin.it
Tue Jan 1 14:39:50 EST 2002

                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: IV3PRK
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO HP
Grid Square: JN66
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs:  123  Score: 451

Conditions have been poor, with very weak signals and spotlight propagation.
This year there are even totally lacking JA's and VK6HD or VK6VZ!
Best distance QSO's have been FM5BH and K9DX, both 16 points. Interesting
spotlight on FM5BH that I could not hear for hours while other europeans were
calling on 1.833, and than came up at once picking 599 for five minutes: I got
through at first call!
>From States side, most consistent and lasting signal by W2GD followed by N2NT.
Most southern station was K4JA as I have been unable to get even a whisper from
W8JI on 1.843: was Tom QRP?
This is my fifth Stew Perry, so it could be interesting to see a comparison
with the previous years from my side:

Year             1997    1998    1999    2000    2001
KL7                1
W1                 8      11       5       3       3
W2                 4       4                       3
W3                 9       6                       1
W4                10       8               1       2
W5                 6       1
W6                 4
W7                 9               1
W8                 7       6
W9                 5                       1       1
W0                 6       3
VE                 3       2       1       1
Carib./CA                                          1
TOT.NA            72      44       7       6      11
AS                 2       4       3       3       5
JA                 -       1       1      11       -
OC                 -       1       1       2       -
AF                 -       -       4       1       -
Total QSO's      134     136     101     148     123
Rough points    1325     854     428     655     451
Operating time around 11 hours each year, so it's noticeable the change in DX
conditions.
Rig has been always the same, running abt 600 W into a shunt-fed vertical and
receiving on a 4 elem. vertical mini-phased array and two beverages (....but
this year, due to the weak signals, best receive was mainly on the TX antenna).
Anyway the Stew Perry is always funny and the best event of the year!

Luis IV3PRK

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com