[3830] RAC Winter VE7FO SOAB LP

jimsmith at shaw.ca jimsmith at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 7 20:35:15 EST 2002

                     RAC(VE) Winter Contest

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 16:30

 Band     QSOs    CW    Phone
-----------------------------
  160:
   80:     47      6      4
   40:     28      5      4
   20:    111      8      9
   15:    140      5      8
   10:    201      7      9
-----------------------------
Total:    527     31     34  =  205,920

CURRENT STATUS:
Sound card still not working.  The next step is to reinstall Windows over
itself.  Makes me nervous, to say the least.  Too chicken to do it for this
test.  Consequently, no DVP for phone.  However, I now have until Jan 5, ARRL
RTTY Roundup to do it and recover.

My keying interface between the computer and rig is still on a breadboard
socket with the cables secured by elastic bands.

Some who read my ARRL 10 story may be wondering, "Well, did he work HN8V or was
it SN8V?"  I sent an e-mail to SN8V and he confirmed that, indeed, I am in his
log and not to worry!  Sigh.

PREPARATION:
As always, I keep forgetting to set up the F Keys to the way I want them in TR
until just before the contest.  I'm just a little way into my 2nd year of
modern contesting and am starting to build up a collection of config files set
up the way I want for the various contests.  The only problem being that I
don't fix them up once the contest is finished but still fresh in my mind.
Time for a New Year's resolution, I guess.

Forgot to turn off printer sharing on the home network but not a problem as,
this time, my daughter didn't send a print job to the MkV.

WHAT HAPPENED:
I got all the F Key programming done and was only 15 minutes late starting.  I
was almost 24 hours late because, for some dumb reason, I thought it ran from
Sat to Sun.  Discovered my error a couple of hours before start.  I believe
that someone else, who shall remain unnamed, actually made that mistake.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out my SO1.5R setup by
running on cw and using the 2nd half-radio (VFO B) to S&P on phone.  However,
the SO1.5R setup as it stands won't handle mixed mode so I gave up on that
idea.  I did try running on cw and S&Ping with VFO B on phone, thinking I would
have less problem with mixed mode dual listening compared to same mode.  It
sort of worked but I'm not good enough to hear a weak cw response with all the
phone racket in the other ear.  Being only one radio, the only time I get to
hear the "mult" radio is when I'm not transmitting.  Once again, I set myself
to climbing these little hills, find they aren't at all easy and gaze in awe
and wonderment at the folks who casually say, "Well, only made 387 Qs on the
2nd radio."