[3830] NAQP CW VE7F0 SOAB LP

jimsmith at shaw.ca jimsmith at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 14 20:06:18 EST 2002

                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: VE7F0
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC

  160:
   80:     15     10
   40:     52     25
   20:    150     50
   15:    129     46
   10:    123     43
----------------------
Total:    469    174  =  81,606

Club/Team:

Comments:

CURRENT STATUS:
Reinstalled Windows over itself in hopes of curing sound card problem.  Got
pretty excited when a message told me that the Registry was being initialized!
Visions of reinstalling a ton of software.  However, no problem, Win didn't
forget about my software and the Sound Card now works!  Well, did have one
problem.  When I originally got TRLog working in a win98 DOS box I didn't
really know what I was doing and ended up modifying the MS-DOS prompt shortcut
in the Start Menu.  So, whenever I clicked on the MS-DOS prompt icon TRLog
started up.  When I rebooted after the re-install the MS-DOS prompt was
restored to its original function.  i.e. command.com instead of TR.  Had a
little fun getting TR back but all OK now and have 2 DOS prompts in Start menu,
one for DOS and one for TR.

I took advantage of the Inrad New Year's Day sale and bought an 8 MHz 250 Hz
xtal filter for the MkV.  Spent a couple of hours trying to decipher the MkV
manual info on filters.  What a disgusting example of technical documentation.
Anyway, the filter arrived 2 days before the test so opened up the MkV on
Friday and installed it.  While I had the rig open I thought I would try to
find out why the 500 Hz filter in the sub-rx wasn't working.  I thought I would
put a scope on the input and output to see if the problem was the filter or
not.  When I went to do it I couldn't find the filter, just a blank space where
it is supposed to be!  This was very troublesome as the person who installed
the filter was me.  Where could it have gone?  I know I put it in.  Did someone
steal it?  Say, here's a 500 Hz filter installed in the main rx Lo IF.
Hmmm.... I've been wondering why MP Filters program showed 2 500 Hz filters in
the main rx when the rig came with only one.  Oh well, pull it out and install
it in the sub rx.  Hey, sub rx is now useful for cw.  This means I'll be able
to try out my SO1.5R technique in NAQP.  More on this below.

PREPARATION:
I vowed that this time I would actually be ready to go at the start of the
test.  I have a bunch of config files I have made for TR, one for each contest,
so I can have the F Keys set up the way I want them.  One of the most important
is F7 which now says, "PSE QRS".  So I went through the NAQP config file and
made sure that it was how I want it and that it works.  Also set up TR for NAQP
so I'll be ready at the starting gun.

Some time ago I devised a method of using the programmable F Keys in TR to
simulate SO2R with one MkV.  It isn't real SO2R as, of course, you can't hear
while transmitting.  Even so, it is of some use and certainly enables you to
practise the fundamental SO2R skill of reading 2 audio streams with one brain.
I've had others try it out and, based on their comments, made the appropriate
revisions.  I just about had the documentation complete when Tree upgraded
TRLog.  So, test it again and revise the documentation.  Just about ready for
release when Tree does it again.  Start thinking about testing with new version
of TRLog and he upgrades it again!  However, two changes he made have greatly
improved the functionality of my SO1.5R system, so I'm sure not complaining.
Going to try to make a concerted effort to get it finished this week.  It will
be available from an as yet unknown web site.  If you are interested, watch for
announcement on TRLog and 1000 MP reflectors.

Anyway, I installed the latest version of TR on Friday night and turned on the
MkV to see if SO1.5R still works.  (I know, the conventional wisdom is that you
never install a new version of a logging program the day before a contest, but
this is TR so I have lots of confidence.)  Tune around 40 a bit to find a
couple of frequencies to play Run and Mult find with.  What's all this CQ test
I'm hearing?  Don't tell me I misread the NAQP start time!  Why are they all
JAs?  Oh, JIDX test.  Perfect opportunity to try SO1.5R so quickly set up TR
for JIDX.  Hmm.. JAs on 40 at 2345 local time?

Well, SO1.5R system works.  Didn't test all parts of it but did get some 2 ear
1 brain practice.  Worked as many JAs as I could, thinking that maybe JAs don't
support our contests as much as they did because, if my understanding is
correct, we don't support theirs very much.  Not used to hearing numerous JAs
on 40 with my low dipole so had fun chasing them.  Oh, oh, I've worked 16 of
them and it's 3 am local time.  NAQP starts in 7 hours.  Damn, I've done it
again.

WHAT HAPPENED:
Got up at 9:15 am.  NAQP starts in 45 min.  Make my first Q at 10:06 while
drinking my orange juice.  If I had read the rules properly last night, I would
have realized that I can work only 10 of the 12 hours and got up at 10 am.
Then again, didn't seem to be all that much happening in the final hour.
Probably because my low band antennas aren't that great.