[3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR SOAB LP

aa4lr at arrl.net aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Jan 21 09:45:22 EST 2002

Equipment
TS430S / AT-250 running 100 watts PEP
K1KP-style voice keyer

Antennas
A3S @ 49.5 feet (10m, 15m. 20m)
1/4 wave sloper @ 40 feet (40m)
125' doublet @ 35 feet (40m, 80m, 160m)

Comments

Best ever score in NAQP. My goals were 700 Qs and 200 mults. Basically, I tried
to keep the rate meter above70 at all times. Just barely missed the Qs goal,
but surprised not to reach the mult goal. I made 192 mults in the CW portion
with 200 less Qs.

Pretty good start on 10m, but by the second hour, things slowed down a bit. In
retrospect, I probably should have taken an off-time then. At 2020z, I found a
very cozy spot on 20m, and managed to run for an hour and a half.  In
retrospect, I should have stayed there for another half hour or more, but I was
worried about missing mults on 15m. 20m was very short, and the rate as quite
good. A second radio would probably have helped.

Tried to go to 40m early, since I went there very late in the CW portion.
Nothing happening before 2200z. Took my first 30 minutes off before 2300z.

20m still had good rate at 0000z, but I moved to 40m at 0050z, and found a
great frequency. Unfortunately, some SWBC station also thought it was great at
0100z, they came on the air, and my rate went to zero. Took another 30 minutes
off before 0145z to get the kids in bed.

Rest of the night was spent bouncing between 40 and 80m, with a short excursion
to 160m to pick up some mults. Had a good run on 80m right at the end when I
ran out of time. I was temped to go multi-two just to keep operating.

K9NS moved/worked me on all 6 bands. I managed a few multiplier moves myself,
which surprised me, as they often didn't work before. Best was convincing KH6DV
to break his run and try 15m from 20m. Thanks, Ron.

20m was the serious money band for me in this contest. 80m a definite second. I
spent a lot of time on 40m, but I think I need a better antenna. Or maybe fewer
shortwave broadcasters. Perhaps should have spent more time on 80m, and less on
15m and 10m.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com