[3830] CQ160 CW N1EU SO HP

N1EU n1eu at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 07:20:09 EST 2002

                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1EU
Operator(s): N1EU
Station: N1EU

Class: SO HP
QTH: Delmar, NY (near Albany)
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs: 892  States/Provinces: 58  Countries: 41  Score:
281,655

Comments:

The propagation was good enough to make this a fun
weekend.  But if I had to assess the propagation, the
best grade I can assign is "fair" - not too bad, not
overly good.  I thought condx were better than they
actually were Sat. night since some European signals
were coming in S9. But as European sunrise approached,
I realized that in actuality not many Europeans were
calling.  In fact, twice as many Europeans were worked
the first night.  I suspect that there was just enough
noise/absorption Sat night to make it impossible to
pull out the next tier of stations.  The other
alternative is just a low level of European activity -
I suspect the former hypothesis is correct. That being
said, 4X3A and OY9JD had relatively strong signals.
It was interesting that OY9JD had very few takers at
0730Z Sunday, while there were swarms around G3SED a
half kc up.  So perhaps there were localized phenomena
at work as well.

Propagation to the west coast was fairly good, but the
Pacific signals were quite attenuated which made VK
very difficult indeed.

Where was North Dakota?

112 dx (10 point) qso's (down from 126 last year)
DX:
4X,9A,9H,CT,CT3,DL,EA,EA8,F,FY,G,GM,GW,HA,HB9,HI,I,KH6,KP4,LA,OE,OK,OM,ON,OY,OZ,PA,PY,PY0F,S5,SP,SV,UA2,V3,V4,VK,VP2V,VP5,XE,YO,ZF

Interesting comment by K5NZ about certain folks coming
back to claim run frequencies.  I had one prominent
Topbander appear out of nowhere to claim my run
frequency as his, after I logged 20 qso's in ten
minutes. Unbelievable!  Thanks to Writelog, I have the
audio for the entire time in question on my hard drive
as indisputable evidence that there was a solid ten
minutes of not a peep from this other station on
frequency.  Just wonder if there souldn't be some
recourse/protection against this - where's the judge
to file a formal protest with?  "Might makes right"
should not be the only rule, especially in maintaining
the traditional civility we've come to expect on our
favorite band.

Thanks for all the qso's and apologies to everyone I
just couldn't pull out.

73,
Barry  N1EU

Equipment: FT-1000MP, Alpha 99
Inv L w elevated radials, 580ft Beverages NE, NW, SW,
SE