[3830] W9SZ ARRL VHF Sweepstakes 2002

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Jan 25 21:32:12 EST 2002

                       ARRL VHF SWEEPSTAKES -- 2002

       Call:      W9SZ
       Category:  Single-Operator Portable
       Power:     QRP
       State:     IL
       Grid:      EN50xf
       Hours of operation:  3

       BAND     QSO    QSO PTS      GRIDS

        50        0        0           0
       144        6        6           6
       222        2        4           2
       432        2        4           2
       903        0        0           0
       1.2        0        0           0
       2.3        0        0           0
       3.4        0        0           0
       5.7        0        0           0
       10G        0        0           0
       24G        0        0           0
       LHT        0        0           0
      -----------------------------------

      Totals     10       14          10  =   140

  Club Affiliation: Society of Midwest Contesters

I had to work a good part of the weekend, but managed to set up for a few
hours Sunday morning.  Murphy struck in a few minor ways - I forgot my
cord to connect my keyer to the rigs, so I had to go strictly SSB; it was
a constant battle to keep the wind on the hilltop from taking down my
antennas; I've finally recovered from the frostbite on my left hand and
sprained right thumb.  The worst was that the bands were MISERABLE here -
about the worst I've ever heard them.  I would've stayed out longer if I
had some decent openings.

I had 1296 and 2304 gear with me but didn't feel like battling the
elements to get two more antennas up in the wind.

Looking forward to the warmer summer VHF/UHF contests -

73, Zack W9SZ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com