[3830] CQ160 CW N2NT SO HP

n2nt1 at home.com n2nt1 at home.com
Sun Jan 27 16:08:52 EST 2002

                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2NT
Operator(s): N2NT
Station: N2NT

Class: SO HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 26

QSOs: 954  States/Provinces: 54  Countries: 42  Score: 290,400

Comments:

Boy was this frustrating.

I spent alot of time improving my tx/rx antennas this year. Thanks to WW2Y for
the inspiration. Had a 2el vert with phased beverages.
Really seemed to work, especially the rx antenna.
Everything worked well Friday night, but the band did not open to EU well in
our area. Listened to Barry N1EU running EU and I couldn't get an answer.
Heard tons of EU mults, and some loud guys who CQed in my face!

But after talking to W2GD I found out they had the same problem.

Sat night at 0200z, I accidentally hot switched the array, and the SWR went
crazy. Went out in the woods in the dark, and took in the hybrid. Nice carbon
smell on the relays. So hooked up a single vertical and used that the rest of
the night. Missed about 1/2 hour. Just not the same, the antenna works well to
west but not to EU.
I must have heard 100 EU sigs, some loud, but I could not get a run at all.
W1OP had a pile up, he didn't hear them calling. I went down 500 hz and CQed,
nothing. K3WW had pile up, I went down 500 hz , nothing...

It was all I could do to get RW2F to hear me. Usually piece of cake.
EW1AB was s9, nothing. Called LZ2LT and LZ8T till I was blue in the face.
CT1FJK called everyone but me.
Only got good at 0700z when G3*.* was very loud.

It was fun on Friday night working VK and ZL, very loud ZL6QH and VK5GN.

Now I have to put the antenna back together!

73, Andy

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com