[3830] CQ160 CW K8DX SO HP

k8dx at raex.com k8dx at raex.com
Sun Jan 27 18:32:19 EST 2002

                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8DX
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs: 943  States/Provinces: 57  Countries: 37  Score: 245,904

Comments:

I'd spent a lot of time putting up lots of Beverages this year and it really
helped.  I planned on building a phased array on Europe spaced 275' and each
Beverage 1000' long.  In the weeks leading up to the contest I tried to test
it,
but without fail I wouldn't hear many EU's.  I began to think something was
wrong with it, and just before the contest started I decided to feed only one
at a time and cut the other back to 580' to see if there was much difference.
I found the 1000' one superior to the shorter one.

A few days before Christmas we had a great 160M opening, with not much since.
It's depressing to hear east coast guys working things you don't even hear a
whisper from.

I can't imagine getting back on the radio Sunday afternoon for a few hours with
the new rule changes for next year.  I personally think I'll bank my operating
time and go all out for the NAQP's, where I could make this many Q's in a third
the time...

Missed: ID, ND, LAB, NWT
DX worked: 4X, 9A, CT, CT3, DL, EA, EA8, F, FY, G, GM, GW, HA, HI, HR,
           I, IT9, KH6, KP4, LZ, OK, ON, OZ, PA, PY, PY0, S5, SV, V3,
           V4, VK, VP5, XE, YU, YV, ZF, ZL

TX Antenna:  Full-size wire vertical
RX Antennas: 1000' Beverage NE
             580' Beverage NE