[3830] IARU ZC4DW(G0DEZ) SO Mixed LP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Sun Jul 14 16:36:12 EDT 2002

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: ZC4DW
Operator(s): G0DEZ
Station: ZC4DW

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Eastern SBA

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   47      0     15
   40:  143     18     40
   20:  529    132     60
   15:  218    220     50
   10:   35     29     25
---------------------------
Total:  972    399    190  Total Score = 1,147,790

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

It will be interesting to know which OJ callsigns belong to which teams...

Worked 43 of the 52 special OJ WRTC stations, no packet cluster or internet
here. Mostly search and pounce, but had a couple of decent runs on 15m & 20m.

Condx poor on 10m, but this was expected.

20m wide open for entire contest.

OJ4M and OJ5U were the only two WRTC stations worked on 4 bands. I did hear 1 OJ
station on 10m, but he QSY'd back to the lower bands before I'd loaded up.
No beams or auto ATU's here, just 100 Watts and low wire.

Somebody commented that different OJ stations had quite different signal
strengths on same band, at about the same time. I noticed this particularly on
40m. I guess their windom antennas must have been in a less favourable
orientation.

Decided on mixed-mode this year, with biasing towards CW. Quite enjoyed SSB, but
don't think that mode will catch on. I always get the best rates on CW with a
couple of 130+ hours early in the contest.

Spent 21 hours in a 38 degree C sweat-box whic is called the shack. No
air-conditioning. Drank 7 litres of water, lost more in sweat.

Lots of HQ stations this year, although only worked RSGB towards the end. Some
nice surprise HQ stations from India, Zaire, Faroe Is, spring to mind. Austria
seemed to have several HQ stations, or maybe I was getting tired at that
stage!

FT-1000mp, 100 Watts
600 feet horizontal loop at 10m high