[3830] IARU AA4LR SO Mixed LP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Tue Jul 16 06:44:30 EDT 2002

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: GA

   20:   20     23     15
   15:   18     41     20
   10:    7     16      9
---------------------------
Total:   45     80     44  Total Score = 16,676

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
Elecraft K2 #2548 running 10 watts
Cushcraft A3S @ 49.5 feet (15 meters)

Comments:

A Church fish fry and then theatre tickets Saturday night limited my activity to
the first 8 hours of the contest. Sounds like I missed the best activity on
Saturday evening.

I decided to give the K2 a good workout to see how it performed in a contest
situation. It did not disappoint. Since IARU doesn't recognise QRP operation, I
elected to use 10 watts. (Although my K2 only generates 4-6 watts on 10m --
something I have to work on) I found the K2 receiver to be excellent. I had one
incident of receiver "crunch" and that involved P40B on 10m, who was extremely
loud. Turning off the receiver preamp eliminated this entirely.

The unfortunate aspect of the 10 watts is that I heard many, many stations who
could not hear me, both on CW and SSB. I definitely need to get the 100 watt PA
for the K2.

Had one funny incident on 20m. Heard a W3 SSB station calling CQ on LSB. I
switched to LSB and worked him, then politely suggested he'd have more luck
using USB on 20m. His response, "Oh, I can't believe I did that...." Glad to
help!