[3830] IARU KI7WX SO SSB HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Wed Jul 17 12:12:56 EDT 2002

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KI7WX
Operator(s): KI7WX
Station: KI7WX

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: NC

  160:            2     2
   80:            9     4
   40:           46    20
   20:          954    64
   15:           66    28
   10:            3     7
---------------------------
Total:   0     1086   125  Total Score = 523,250

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Single op, one FT1000 and an Alpha 78.  Various monoband yagis on each band
10-40 with wires for 80 and 160. First opportunity I've had to really operate
with the 4/4 stack on 20M and it was great (Pair of M^2 20M4DX yagis at 105/50
feet).

1/2 time contest for me and I think that was a mistake based on how easy it was
to run Europe on 20M from sundown to sunrise. Change in plans kept me from doing
a planned M/S effort with KO7X, and I had some business in RTP to take care of
Saturday. Initially was planning to just poke around, work the deserving and
maybe some OJs...

As it went, 20M sounded like it was getting good around 9:30pm EST Saturday
night and before I knew it I'd sat in the chair for about 8 hours running along
happy as a clam working all sorts of fun stuff. 20M stack seems to work. It was
obviously too late by then to be serious about score, but I hit 40 + 80 for
mults and QSOs and by then 15M was opening to N. Africa. All of that was good
for a few mults and 50-60 extra Qs along with some interesting DX. Finished it
off with 90 minutes to go by convincing the boys at NU1AW/4 to work me on 10M
which was barely open.

Looks like I should have neglected my proper responsibilities and just done the
dang contest :-)

Mark
KI7WX