[3830] IOTA LZ1PJ SO24CW LP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Mon Jul 29 11:09:47 EDT 2002

                    IOTA Contest

Call: LZ1PJ
Operator(s): LZ1PJ
Station: LZ1PJ

Class: SO24CW LP
QTH:

   80:   79       27      0        0
   40:   73       31      0        0
   20:  151       48      0        0
   15:  336       62      0        0
   10:   51       12      0        0
Total:  690      180      0        0  Total Score = 977,400

Nice contest with bad propagation at my QTH. My target was 1.000.000 points and
I missed it just because of the 2+ rest hours I took. Before the contest I had
slept just 2 hrs after a night shift at job. So far not a bad result with
barefoot rig and NO cluster spots.
I used the shack and antennas of LZ9W contest club, where I happen to be one of
the members. Most of the guys were busy and activity in this contest was not
planned for the club.
Unfortunately recently there were some tech problems with the available
equipment (RIGs and AMPs), so I took advantage of only the nice antenna farm:
80m/Inv Vee, 40m/HB9CV, 20m/6el Yagi, 15m/6el Yagi, 10m/7el Yagi.
I was planning to work as many as possible new IOTAs to add to my totals, but
lack of a working PA and cluster spots was a great disadvantage.
The contest was also a test for my newly acquired 2-nd hand IC-735, but the lack
of narrow CW filter was a real problem.
Propagation wasn't good at all, particularly being disappointed with 28MHz.
Local bad weather made it very difficult to operate on 3.5 and 7 MHz too, with
too great static noise on those bands.
Either propagation or antenna was best on 21MHz, hence my best result is on that
band.
The nicest thing that happened to me was meeting my good friend Feri HA8KW,
working /IV3 from EU-130.
The most unpleasant was at the end of the contest. I had been working CQ on the
low end of 21MHz for one and a half hour on the same freq, when someone asked me
to clear the frequency immediately, because some DX had come there. As working
in contest doesn't make the DX stn more important than myself, I didn't QSY, and
that anonimous guy called me a LID. OK, there were plenty of nice DX stns in the
contest, if I had to run off my calling frequency every time some of them came
nearby, I just couldn't make a call in that or any other contest. Like it or
not, Mr Anonimous, that's the point.
OK, guys, it was a real pleasure working you. See you in next contest.
73 de Ivan LZ1PJ - "Johny"