[3830] RSGB Jubilee GW3NJW SOCW HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Sun Jun 9 09:07:36 EDT 2002

                    RSGB Jubilee Contest

Call: GW3NJW
Operator(s): GW3NJW
Station: GW3NJW

Class: SOCW HP
QTH:

   80:   52     4
   40:  248     7
   10:  128     6
-------------------
Total: 1152    51  Total Score = 293,760

Tough going with verticals and wire as usual, real hair shirt stuff in this one.
Owing to the paucity of Commonwealth mults., scope for SO2R was very limited
indeed.80m was almost unusable because of the QRN levels, and 40m darkness paths
are rather limited at this time of the year.10m poor as always in midsummer.
Hopefully a calendar shift would address some of these issues for future
events

Support from the Commonwealth was very poor. From the U.S. , it was at least as
good as could be expected, given the well known N.I.H. syndrome. From Europe and
Asia support was magnificent surpassing any expectations that I might have had.
Difficult to assess G activity from my own perspective, but probably a lot
better than the usual apathy.

It seems therefore that the RSGB publicity machine has done a good job in
promoting a very promising event. However, very clearly the ( ex U.K.)
Commonwealth needs to consider its position carefully if this event is to
succeed further than the Golden Jubilee year.

Although it was distinctly chilly for June- about 10C at night- my small shack
soon ramped up to 25C with two rigs and amps running. Thus the window was open
all night. At about 04:00 local I became concerned at a squeek or something
coming from the computer or the FL2100Z. After about 5 minutes taking the cans
on and off, I discoverd that it was the dawn chorus outside! Sort of puts things
into perspective, when the rate is a low and you've just missed a mult..

Most notable DX was R1ANF/VP8 on 28Mhz.

Run Rig
_______
TS870, Alpha 78, Butternut HF9Vx2

Mult rig
_________
TS870, FL2100Z, 212ft inverted vee at 30 ft  in centre (DX88 not used)

Writelog 10.3x
W5XD keyer/SO2R box

73

Clive