[3830] ARRLDX SSB K6KYJ SOAB(A) LP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Mon Mar 4 02:29:40 EST 2002

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K6KYJ
Operator(s): K6KYJ
Station: K6KYJ

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: North Am

  160:    1     1
   80:   16     6
Total:  294   139  Total Score = 122,598

Club: Wired Lil' Pistols

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:

One old man (60), one old radio (TS-820S), & lots of old wire
 (separate dipoles for 10 - 75 meters, quarterwave for 160)

This started out as a test of new low band antennas and turned
into one of the most enjoyable and productive contests I've
been involved in in 47 years.  The propagation was great, the
operators were super, and everything came together. And I
don't really enjoy or do many SSB contests (love that CW!).

Thanks to KH7R, I managed one all-band sweep. What really
surprised me was my ability to work JA's on both 40 and 75,
often with only one call, using only a hundred watts and
inverted dipoles about 16 meters high.  Yet, it took me three
minues to complete a QSO on 75 with the 6D2 guy.

My 19 hours of operation was so personally productive that
I just packed it in for good early Sunday morning, knowing
that I gained several new band countries (hopefully enough
to complete my 40 meter DXCC).

When I revisited the shack later in the day, I discovered that
the new puppy had made a meal of my headphone cable.
That's contesting!  And to put it all in perspective, my station
cost me about a $1000 total.  For 128K points, that is about
.008 cents per point.  Can anyone beat that??

Ron K6KYJ