[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5TW M/2 HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Tue Mar 5 07:04:05 EST 2002

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): WM5R NA4M KM5TY N5DUW WS4G W5TD N5TW
Station: N5TW

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: North Am

  160:   10     9
   20:  680   104
   15:  887   115
   10: 1471   119
-------------------
Total: 3347   441  Total Score = 4,343,409

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was sorta the contest from Hell for us.   We lost a TS850 at 0300 the first
night and lost an hour getting a replacement.   Fun rewiring the voice keyer for
the replacement rig.   QRN was high on 80M and 160M both nights but especially
so the first one with a storm to our east.  For most of the contest, we had very
high, gusty winds and two power poles next to the 15M tower were creating
enormous noise to the west and NW.  (Sorry to our JA/Asia friends if we were
deaf.)   Losing JA runs with line noise is death from Texas...   Rates were down
on 15M to Eu as well aggravated by line noise near that tower.  And we made some
mistakes that will be beneficial to study.   We did not work some easy ones on
160M (Like XE and TI) because these stations were operating consistently below
1843.   All in all, a disappointing result given the effort expended before and
during the contest.