[3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2K(K6RO) SOSB/10 HP

webform at hornucopia.com webform at hornucopia.com
Thu Mar 7 09:54:05 EST 2002

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2K
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: PJ2K

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: non-North Am

   10: 3179    60
-------------------
Total: 3179    60  Total Score = 572,220

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had originally planned a SOAB,but decided to do a SOSB/10 after weighing all
my options.
10 meters was HOT the two days before the contest, staying open until after
midnite in PJ2.I thought I had a real chance to beat the 10m record if
conditions stayed the same.Started the contest with the hope of putting 800 q's
in the log in the first four hours.After 45 minutes with the rate meter staying
between 300 and 420,the band decided to fade away.Ended up with only
256,150,36,and 3 in the first four hours.
Got up a bit early and started cq'ing,putting 83,79,and 102 q's in the log of
mostly east coast stations.The band was TOO HOT,as I heard everyone working EU
instead of looking south once in a while.I knew any chance of a record was out
the window if condx stayed this way.Everyone was very loud most of the day until
the band died again at around 2350z having logged 2129 q's.I knew the guys back
home in CA were having fun, as their path to EU was great for hours,and then
again to JA in the late afternoon.Sunday was difficult, only logging 1050
q's.Final score 3179 x 60 = 572k.

Highlites
----------
Getting to use the much improved PJ2T station.A great place to go for radio and
a vacation.
Having my tennis partner (Ron W6UL) go with me to play radio.
Working a GREAT group of US and Canada stations that only asked me "what is your
call" 2 times !

Lowlites
----------
Constant QRM ,probably from the island following me around using CB talk,and
every other electronic device to try and get me mad.There was a 4 hour period
that they followed me from 28302 all the way to 28550.It did slow my rate
down,and I am sorry to the ops I was trying to work who stayed with me thru the
problem.

Overall a great time !
Thanks for all the q's.

I certify that I made all my q's WITHOUT asking all my friends and club members
to spot me every 5 minutes.
I also certify that I did not email anyone asking them to work me,or to start on
10 meters.

Anyone who doesn't understand my sarcasm can email me for info :)

Thanks again,Larry K6RO